Sunday, October 21, 2012

Sunday - Science Day at Botanical Garden

The location of this house is ideal.  In two minutes walk we can be to the central market place.  From our windows we can see the canal and the other houses that line the canal. And, if you let your gaze travel upwards, you can see the bell tower of the "new church."  The "new church" was built in 1310 - 1510.  I love being able to glance over and see it - I can do that right now!  They light it up at night, so it is rather regal and timeless as it stands watch over the town.  My favorite is the bells, that chime several times an hour - sweet songs that make me stop and listen no matter what I'm doing.

The church bells had a party today.  Today is Sunday, with church service at 10:00.  It was in Dutch.  There was also service at the "old church" (also in Dutch).  Clang.  Clang.  The bells didn't stop from 9:30 up 'till 10AM.  It was like calling people to to the church.

We noticed a stillness in the normally bustling street we can see from our house.  No one was flying past on a bike.  No one was walking.  No one was strolling.  It was still.  We had a relaxed morning too, heading out on the town around 10:30.

Our goal was the botanical garden of Delft.  It is part of the Technical University.  They were having a kids event that the owner of this house told us about.  He used to live in this house, but when they moved (after having 2 kids) they kept this house to rent it out.  We found it on the website (www.homeaway.com) that I often use.  Anyway, the owner mentioned that the kid's event was to have a train, so that was enough to entice us to go.

It was a 15 minute walk to get there.  It took us 45 minutes.  We went in some creative directions to get there, probably because Dan and I were having a nice conversation and enjoying our surroundings rather than focusing on where we were going.  We walked over canals, down side streets, along shopping plazas, then wondered -- hey where is the botanical garden anyway?

I pulled out a paper map.  Dan pulled out his iPhone.  I found the botanical garden.  Dan found our location.  We put 2 and 2 together and changed our trajectory and finally found the garden.

The event was awesome.  It started with Sara getting a free bag, ball, bottle opener, and clock.  She loves free stuff (who doesn't?).  She happily carted her bag around, until she saw a bubble machine.   That was the end of the bag.  "Mom, hold this" she said, right as she burst into a full-speed run to the bubbles.  That was the end of the bag.  The bubbles were all she could see.

Turns out that the bubbles were being generated by a kid sitting on a bike.  Right up Sara's alley!  She waited her turn and then got on the bike - so she could make bubbles fly into the air.  She loved it.  And when it wasn't her turn, she loved to chase after the bubbles generated by other kids.  "Mama, will you play in the bubbles with me?" she invited.  How could I resist?  I joined in and had fun with her.

Toot!  Toot!  From the bubble area we heard the unmistakable sound of a train.  The train was a steam train.  About 2 feet high.  It  had a conductor, who sat on a small engine up front.  Then, there were bench train cars that the kids sat on.  There were no tickets.  No lines.  You just went over there and the kids got on.  Simple as that!  Sara didn't need to be invited.  In fact, I said to Dan, "where did Sara go?" he said, "where do you think?" and Sara had already found a place on the train and was waiting for it to start.

Then the train derailed, so Sara and all the other kids got off the train. Sara was perplexed.  But she waited, very patiently, (there was nothing that could drag her away) and when it was fixed (probably 6 long minutes later!) she was the first one to hop on.  She sat there like "I'm on, let's go!" and the train did go.  It went around a little circuit, around the botanical garden's grove of trees.  Sara looked so proud.  And happy.   Dan and I watched her from the sidelines.  When the train finished it's loop, Sara got off the train - and ran full speed - like *very* fast - propelling herself as fast as her legs could carry her -- over to me.  She nearly knocked me over with a huge full body hug, after which she asked, "can I do that again Mama?"  "Yes, you can ride the train again," I answered, and she was off like a bullet, back to the train.  She got on.  And rode again.  Around the circuit with a grin on her face the whole way.

This was repeated 5 times.  She'd ride the train, run over to me for a hug, ask to ride again, and then ride again.  It was great.

Soon it was time for the "bouncy bouncy" thing - and she was the only kid there!  She took off her shoes faster than I've ever seen her do it - and for the next several minutes that kid jumped, ran, fell, bounced, and flew around the bouncy bounce.  It was a joy to watch.

We tore her away from that to go on to the next thing.  We found another area with crafts, food, a botanical green house, etc.  First we got some food.  I checked out all the choices, and wasn't that thrilled to see the only thing warm seemed to be a boiled hot-dog type sausage.  Then my nose pointed me over to a man in a white chef's uniform and white chef's hat. He was in a small outdoor cooking area making something in a huge wok.  (Like 2-3 feet in diameter).  I waited and watched.  Soon what he was cooking was for sale, and I asked for a portion.  He dished me up some, and I held out a 5 Euro bill.  It was only 1 Euro!  The food was potatoes, mushrooms, and herbs, all mixed together.  That may not sound good, but it was so good that I ate that - and got a second round!

Dan had the boiled hot-dog type sausage thing, which he said was surprisingly good.  I'll have to take his word for it as I didn't try it.  It was 1 Euro also.  What a local fun thing we were experiencing!  Everyone spoke Dutch, but they would switch to English for us.

After eating, we did some of the crafts. Sara painted a leaf (that was one of the craft stations).  She was very particular about what colors she wanted for her left.  I think she humored the lady in charge.  Then Sara and Dan went into the green house while I sat on a bench outside and fed Julia.  When we met back up again, Dan and Sara climbed into a tree house and Julia and I waved up to them.  After some more fun, we decided to try our luck at the clown who was making ballon animals.

Sara joined the other kids gathered around the clown.  She didn't understand a word of what the clown was saying (in Dutch) but she paid rapt attention, clinging to his every word.  "CAn I have a ballon?" she'd say.  And finally, all the other kids cleared away and she got his undivided attention.

Here is how the conversation went:
Clown: "Do you want a ballon?"
Sara: "My Name is Sara.  S-A-R-A.  I'm three an a half.  I have a sister. Julia.  She is seven."
Clown: "You talk very fast."
Sara: "My favorite color is red."
Clown: "Do you want pink or really pink?"
Sara: "Really pink."
Clown: Here is a swan.
Sara:  "Cool.  Thanks!"

Thus, Sara had a swan ballon.  She was in love.  She loves ballons, but to have one made for her was the best thing ever.

We decided to leave on a high note.  We got Julia and Sara back into the Bob Stroller and headed back to town.  Along the way we passed shopping stuff, and went into a large grocery store.  It is kind of fun to see their grocery stores.  And practical too.  We got some diapers for Julia, some yogurt, some Oreo cookies (for a taste of home), 6 eggs (not refrigerated), 2 beers (Dan said, "they have beer like in Belgium, but it is just not the same."), 2 mixes for baked stuff.  After that we wandered through town heading back here.

In the main square, Sara was running around carrying her ballon swan.  She sat down on a cheese display in front of a shop (the cheese was just a wooden demo) and her ballon popped.  Bang!  It was loud.  Her ballon was deflated and she was too.  That poor kid.  She was stunned that the ballon she loved so much was now gone.  She ran to Papa, "can you fix this?" she asked, holding up the pink rubber ballon casing.  Ever resourceful, Papa asked Sara to close her eyes, turn around once, hop three times, and while she did all that he blew up a spare ballon he had in his pocket.  When she opened her eyes she took the ballon and was happy again.  It was "just" a normal ballon, not a swan, but it was a ballon none the less.  I suppose I had a hand in the ballon magic, as I'm the one that saw the pile of spare ballons back at the botanical garden and I gave it to Dan.  So it was nice he was able to whip it out in Sara's time of disaster - to make everything better again.

Even on-lookers had noticed Sara's ballon trama.  The ballon had made such a pop when it broke and she got teary in her heart broken state.  But the on-lookers were happy when it was all better with the replacement ballon.

We capped off the ballon loss and replacement with some icecream, which can fix everything.  Sara got a chocolate cone and played with her new ballon in the nearly empty ice cream store.

We came back here.   Called Dad/Maureen on Skype.  Made lunch (rack of lamb).  And headed back out for another walk.  We strolled up and down streets, noticing the dates on the buildings.  1510.  1630.  1842.  There is a bit of everything.  We also went into the Vermeer center, and they have Delft pottery for sale from the 1600's and 1700's that is only like 32 Euro.  That is amazing, since in the junk shops they sell cheap stuff for that same price - why not get an antique?  We didn't buy anything, but maybe we will before we go.  Delft is famous for pottery "Delft Blue."

It was a full day. It caps off Dan's 2 week vacation.  He'll start telecommuting tomorrow.  But he'll spend the morning 'till 2:00 PM with us, so that is good.  Then the girls and I can explore a bit or have quiet time - what ever we want!

Quote of the day:
Dan: "I just took Sara's soccer ball away from her, and she lectured me on why it isn't nice to take soccer balls away from little girls."

Another Quote:
Sara:  "I'm being so brave sitting on this cheese."
(Right before her ballon popped.)

Sister Quote:
Sara:  "Some day, I'm going to have a motor scooter.  I'll take Julia for a ride. She can sit on back.  I'll drive.  It will be no Mama, no Papa, just Julia and I."

Sweet Quote:
Lori:  "I love you Sara."
Sara: "I love you too Mom."
(melt my heart)

Good night,
Lori







No comments:

Post a Comment