Saturday, February 22, 2014

Friday - Sick

I woke up sick, spent the day sick, and went to bed feeling better but still sick.

My body preferred being horizontal.  Vertical-ness made me feel weak.  I had chills, a cough, and my head hurt.  

It was raining.

We didn't have plans for the day, so we kept things low key.  I slept on and off.  

I can't remember the last time I was feeling so ill I could not do anything.  Maybe it was sometime twenty or so years ago.  Usually even if I don't feel well I can charge ahead.  But my body put its foot down.  Rest was needed.

Sara was thoughtful, but listened when Dan said "Mama needs to rest."  Julia bee-bopped over to me, tore off my covers, grabbed my hand and pulled me up. I did get up when she did that, but I couldn't stay up as much as I wanted to.  My body overruled my brain and my feet took me back to lay down.  

Needing a lot of rest during the day is very strange for me.

I couldn't cook, eat, or stand.  I joined in the family meals, but more as a statue.

Julia was my buddy.  Though she did often pull off my covers, sometimes she pulled herself up on the couch near me and put her hand on my arm.  I fed off her warm touch; it counteracted my full-body chills.  At one point she leaned over and kissed my cheek.  With a huge smile on her face.  "ummmmMA" she said, giving her kiss a sound effect.  I looked up at her sweet face, curtained by her curly hair and her blue eyes looking right into my hazel eyes.  I appreciated her reaching out to me in her own way.  It did help; I loved it.  

After dinner I felt more human.  I went to bed at really early (right after Sara).  In the night I woke up lined in sweat.  I thought maybe we had put the blanket in the laundry and it was still wet.  But I had soaked it.  My chills, then my sweat may have been fighting a fever.  I flipped over my blanket and kept sleeping.  I slept 'till 6:50 when Julia said "Mom?!" 

On Saturday morning (which is now) I could stand, walk, and even talk and think!  My day of rest had helped.  The kids are eating breakfast that I made, and I've been able to eat also.  

I don't usually have 15 minutes of down-time let alone a whole day.  But my body demanded it.  I don't know what today has in store for us, but I've packed our map, some water, and some food in the stroller, so when Dan gets up (it is 9:42 AM so it may be soon?) we can go out and have some fun.

END




No comments:

Post a Comment