Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Wednesday - Sarlat market day

View as I write this:

(from front porch)

Today I was up at 6:02 with Julia.  Then around 8 or so Sara got up.  We headed out to market day here in Sarlat, leaving Dan sleeping. [He later thanked me for the nice sleep-in time!]

We are old-pros at market day.  Even Sara's first words today were "it's market day!"  

Julia loves baguettes!


[Julia is happiest with one piece in each hand!  If I only give her one piece, she will reach until I give her a second piece!] 

I raided Dan's wallet for cash and headed out.  The morning was foggy.  Mist was rising up over the hills.  I could see my breath as I went down our drive way, being careful not to slip on the dew covered rocks.  
Market day

The walk down to Sarlat from this house is tricky.  It is a narrow path.  It is pretty, but requires a watchful eye.  We pass rock walls covered with moss.  We pass trees that dip gangly branches down into our path.  We pass drop offs, a few houses, and it all ends with a steep slope down.  For safety, I have Sara walk.  That way the double stroller is less heavy - and I can be safer as I roll Julia down the hill.  Sara likes the walk, and she knows that it helps me.  My pedometer says that I took over 14,000 steps today.  About 7 miles of walking.  Sara probably walked at least half of that - so she is a good little walker/explorer.

Once we got to town we had to find the market.  It is our first market day here, so we didn't know exactly where it would be.  It wasn't hard to find it.  We saw market umbrellas as soon as we entered the main part of town.   

This market is known as the "food" market - and I think it is smaller than the Saturday market.  If this was small, I wonder what the big one is like.  I agree that most of the stuff was edible.  Strawberries, walnut cakes, garlic, bread, mushrooms (including truffles), vegetables, fruits, and that sort of thing.  That may not sound interesting.  I suppose it is the market atmosphere that is the most interesting.  The buzz of the people as they conduct business.  The scuffling of the feet on the cobblestones as people walk looking at the market wares.  The sight of people in upper generations filling their well-worn market baskets to the brim.  


[Video of market.  Please email me if this sort of thing is interesting.  I have more videos that I didn't post - not sure if this is interesting to watch or not.  Oh, and if you want a postcard from France, send me your address.  I didn't bring any snail-mail address information with me.]

When we first got there it was 9:30.  We were able to stroll around.  By the time 10:30 rolled around (and we met up with Dan) it was packed.  I think tour buses were dropping people off.  I even think there were a few French school groups.  I had left Dan a note to meet us by the cathedral at either 10 or 10:30.  I circled by there at both times.  At 10:30 I was buying cheese by the cathedral when I noticed he was by my side.  We got some truffle cheese and some aged cheese.  Was 10 euro for 2 chunks.  That is pricy, but it is great cheese.

Now that Dan was with us we started buying more stuff (it is easier with 2 adults, since one can do the buying and one can help with Sara and Julia).  We got 2 big things of strawberries, green beans, garlic, onion, banana, tomato, and some walnut cake with honey.  (Walnuts are a thing around here.  There are lots of walnut trees like in Provence there were a lot of olive trees.)

After we did our buying we sat down at a cafe.  What a treat.  We usually picnic with stuff we bring or eat here.  The cafe we picked was right in the market action.  Our seats were outside, and the first row of tables next to all the market goers.  We first spotted the cafe at 10:45, and we had to wait 15 minutes for 11:00 when the sign said they started serving.  Then when we sat down at 11:00, the waiter said the kitchen wasn't open for another half hour.  We have to eat early, since at 12:30 Julia is usually napping - and having her awake at that time would not be fun!  (Parents know what I mean!)  So we ordered two coffees and relaxed.  That in itself is a treat.  To just sit and relax with a coffee.  Ahhhhh.  We let the girls eat strawberries and green beans from the market.  That kept them busy, as did some crayons and paper.  

Finally at 11:45 we were able to order food.  We were having a nice time. Relaxing and just watching the market action from our seats.  Very enjoyable and very French -- to just relax with coffee at a cafe.  

Our food soon came, an omelet for Dan, a pizza for Sara, a panini for me.  Julia got some of everything.  

We ate.  We relaxed.  We enjoyed.  That is what outdoor cafes are for!  

Then, after we paid, we strolled, the girls slept.  Dan and I chatted as we wandered the back streets.  The back streets are just as amazing and they have no tourists.  Just flower boxes, stone beauty, rock roofs, fountains trickling water, and peace.  The streets were narrow.  No cars - the streets were so narrow you could hold out your arms and touch the buildings on either side.  A car isn't a possibility.  Sprinkled in those back streets we found art galleries, cafes, and people dining outside with tiny bouquets of flowers on their tables.   Getting "lost" on back streets and exploring a village is a pleasure.  No schedule, no "must see," just wandering around, noticing how the sunlight illuminates rooflines, bounces of stones, and makes flower petals glow like stained glass.

Then we saw a gate that said "public garden" in French.  We went over and went through the big black iron scroll gate.  The rest of the world dropped away and we were in a park.  Before long we noticed a playground. It was for 3-6 year olds and Sara's radar went off.  She said, "can I play?" and she rocketed out of the stroller and RAN top speed to get to the play ground.  I stayed with her; Dan kept walking with Julia who was sound asleep.  Sara and I climbed, swang, did the teter-toter, played hide and go seek, and did a lot of laughing.  A little girl about Sara's age watched us.  Her Mom was sitting on a bench, and I think the other little girl was noticing how Sara and I were playing together - she looked especially at me - probably wondering why a Mom was playing on the playground instead of sitting on the bench!  I'll tell her why - it is because it is more fun - and because if I tried to sit, Sara would say, "Mom, why aren't you playing?"  

When Julia woke up we were joined by Dan and Julia.  Julia loved playing on the playground.  Her eyes lit up when she saw Sara and I playing - and she ran as fast as her little legs could carry her to join us.  She did everything that Sara did -- even -- going down the slide ALL by herself!!  Top to bottom - with no one to catch her!  (It was a perfect slide for her age.)  But still, sitting on the top of a slide and deciding to let yourself go down takes courage - and she did it!

After that Dan had to start telecommuting (and we were all hot! it is sunny and warm here!) so we walked back.  We all put our bathing suits on and went into the pool.  That cooled us off quickly, as 65 degree water will do.

As the day went on I played with the girls outside - and we had dinner.  There is a fish pond in the back yard so they enjoy that - I'd say they are fascinated by it.  Julia especially is fascinated by two huge green dragon flies that hover near the pond - they are friendly - and seem curious about us.  I swear they are checking us out as they hover over the pond.  I watch Julia's eyes follow the dragon fly - and she gets such a serious expression on her face!  There is a wooden bench by the pond and Sara puts her arm around Julia as they sit there together.  

I know it is time for Julia to go to sleep with out looking at a clock.  She tries to play, but falls over.  Or sometimes she'll just put her head down on anything that she is near - two clear signs she is ready!  She went to sleep around 6:30 tonight and Sara went to sleep "when the sky turned pink" as she says.

Quote of the day:
Sara: "Mom, can I have a glob of peanut butter?"  [time passes]  "Mom, I'm waiting for my next glob of peanut butter."  [no bread needed, Sara just eats peanut butter on a plate!

End of post.

No comments:

Post a Comment