Saturday, September 7, 2013

Saturday - Market in Uzes, then leave for Vaison la Romaine

We left our apartment early to enjoy market day.  I checked it out from our bedroom window first, just by opening up the big heavy window I could peek out and see it.  Right under the window.  People were already strolling, even though people were still setting up their wares.  

Since I already wrote about how cool market day is I won't repeat all that.  We wandered up and down all the streets - enjoying all the various stuff.  Sara really liked the scented soaps - and enjoys using the strawberry one that she picked out last week.  Sara was walking and we had Julia up in the Kelty back pack carrier.

In the main market place we saw a pizza truck.  A pizza truck?!  We got one of the fresh, hot pizzas right out of the oven - on the truck!  It was 8.50 Euro (perhaps the best money we've spent thus far) and he tied the pizza box up with pink ribbon.  That was novel!  Pink ribbon on a pizza box?  

I carried the pizza.  I was the only one who could.  Sara was up in Dan's arms by then, with her head on his shoulder.  Julia was up in Dan's back pack - so he had a double load of kids.  Is that fitting for our wedding anniversary (which is today) that he carry the humans that we brought into this world?  The girls seemed mighty happy to be in Papa's arms - Sara was so relaxed the looked nearly melted.  Not to worry, the pizza had us all eager to find a picnic spot, which we did, right on the steps of the cathedral.  We sat there, and ate.  No forks, no plates, we just ate that pizza.  Best meal ever.  "Mama, this is the best lunch I've ever had" Sara said, and I tended to agree.

Then we wandered through Uzes stone cozy lanes one last time.  When we got back to the apartment we gathered up all our stuff and headed out. It was a big sad.  How could we be leaving?  As we walked out the big heavy door for the last time I knew we'd be passing by "our" bakery for the last time.  Sara said, "how about we go to the bakery one last time?"  (that is exactly what she said!) and so we did.  I got two funny looking puffy things (well Sara bought them, even saying please and thankyou in French) and then we rolled our luggage to our rental car.

The drive was spectacular.  Sun flowers (a bit past, but still pretty), a million-trillion rows of grape vines for wine, and rows and rows of trees.  Georgous.  I hold a camera in my hands just so I can snap picture of the view out the car windows.

It took about 1.5-2 hours to get here.  Then we wandered around trying to find the exact location of our house.  We finally found it.  I walked up to a man who was the owner and he gave us a tour.  This place is the bottom floor of his house - so we step out of our front door to a pool area and step out our back door to a back deck!  Pretty great.  They have 2 kids - one is 9 and one is 3, so that is great.  Sara has already played with them a little.  They speak English since their parents (the owners lived in the UK for a while, but they are French themselves).  It will be nice to have a yard.  

After a bit of unpacking we went to the super market - a 15 minute drive away.  We loaded up.  Then Dan made dinner as the girls played (I bought bubbles at the store) and I unpacked a bit.  We ate dinner outside - such a delight.

It started to sprinkle rain as we finished up dinner.  Odd.  We've had such sunny warm days (with blue, blue skies) that I was beginning to wonder if it ever rained here.  It is raining now too.  I like the sound of it.  And I like how it makes the Earth smell.  

Another benefit of them having kids is that there is a tricycle, bicycle, and swim stuff for kids here.  Sara and Julia have already tried it all out - including Julia on the bike - she wants to do everything!  

Good night.

Quote of the day: (while Sara and Julia were playing)
Sara:  "You know Julia, I really love you."  

End of post.





No comments:

Post a Comment